Watch the Miracle of Metamorphosis in your own home or classroom!
The Live Butterfly Garden offers children the invaluable lessons of metamorphosis, science, patterns, patience, and life cycle studies. Give the Magic of Metamorphosis to a child you love.
5 caterpillars (a live butterfly culture) will arrive in a clear plastic cup with all of the nutritious food they need. Place the cup in a safe place away from direct sunlight. The caterpillars will remain in the cup and will eat, spin silk and grow to TEN times their original size! After seven to ten days they will hang upside down and harden into chrysalides (chrysalides are also known as pupae).
The Butterfly Garden Habitat is a reusable, cylindrical mesh container perfect for up close butterfly viewing! When not in use it folds flat for easy storage. Once the chrysalides have hardened, gently move them to the pop-up butterfly habitat. It will take about seven to ten more days for them to complete the transformation to adult butterflies. Everyone will want to keep a close eye on the habitat so they can witness the fascinating birth of their Painted Lady Butterflies.
Once your butterflies emerge, children will love feeding them! To make the butterfly nectar, thoroughly mix 3 teaspoons of sugar with 1 cup of water. Place fresh flowers in the habitat for your butterflies to rest on and then use the feeding pipette included to sprinkle the nectar on the flowers daily. Watch your butterflies eagerly sip the nectar with their long proboscises. Butterflies also love to feed from fresh slices of watermelon and oranges!
- Insect Lore – The Original Butterflies-By-Mail Company Since 1969.
- Healthy Caterpillars Shipped Safely From our Butterfly Farm to You!
- Pop-up, reusable 11.5-inch tall mesh habitat perfect for butterfly viewing!
- Cup of 5 Live Caterpillars and Feeding Pipette. 3 of the 5 caterpillars are guaranteed to develop into perfect specimens
- Specially formulated, ready to use, caterpillar food and Extensive Butterfly Garden Instructions.